Hawkes Bay NZ Water trail

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Galloping Gertie from Amtrak approaching Tacoma

The bridge with the green tower is the famous engineering failure from the 1940s. You get some lovely views of Puget Sound from the Cascadia train from Portland to Seattle. My bike is tagged and riding up front in the baggage car. I'm using my titanium road bike this trip, so it's so easy to hand it up to the baggage car staff. It costs $5 extra to reserve one of the 20 spots on this train, so I don't have to box the bike and this round trip cost only $58.
I like trains. Since 2011 I've been on the Ghan to Darwin and back, the Indian Pacific from Perth to Sydney and the Overlander from Adelaide to Melbourne in Australia. 2 Christmases ago I did the Cairns to Kuranda day trip. Last year it was various Deutschebahn trains in Germany, the SNCF in France, and the Eurostar through the Chunnel from Paris to London.

Tomorrow I fly to California to train as a bike tour leader. I packed my touring bike for air travel before I left for this conference. I hope I can fit it easily into a rental car as I have to get to Buellton for the course, then back by Friday to attend a faculty meeting before spring quarter starts the following Monday. The logistics are definitely a puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment